CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 14, 2008

So I was wondering....

On Saturday I was hanging with Some friends hiking up to Timponogos cave. If you have ever been up there you know that there is a paved path all the way up to the cave entrance. Well as I was hiking up I just wondered (out of the blue) why is asphalt named asphalt? I always wonder random things like this way randomly. Anyways, so i did some research and this is what I found thanks to dictionary.com.

Asphalt was used anciently by the egyptians to embalm mummies. It was also used by the middle east as mortar between bricks, as ship caulking, and in waterproofing. In the far east they used natural asphalt to waterproof by boiling it and separating the heavier molecules then as they would let it cool it would harden. They also used it in making statues of household deities. That was then. Now we use asphalt mostly to make and repair roads. The actual origin of the word asphalt is asphaltos which comes from greek and means to make firm, to secure. http://www.reference.com/search?q=asphalt
This seems like a fitting name or this stuff. I would like to know where that word came from but i think this is about as far as i will be able to get for now. What makes me laugh is thinking of how this stuff was named. I am sure some guy was playing with fire and just started playing with fire and when he got board of the fire he started to burn whatever he could find and threw in some asphalt and when it melted he waited till it cooled and then found out it turned hard. He then did what any guy would do. try to destroy it! I am sure he started throwing this hard asphalt all over and when he didnt break it he said this is asphaltos!....well maybe thats over the top...or maybe not. what do you think?

Is there anything that you wonder about like that? Ask me cuz i want to find out and learn.

0 comments: